ALPLA has been involved in the recycling of plastic and the processing of the recycled material into new packaging for more than 30 years. Global Recycling Day 2023 will take a look at the most important developments and measures in this area in recent years.
The circular economy has been an integral part of ALPLA’s sustainability strategy for many years and the company always advocates for a closed plastic packaging loop in accordance with the bottle-to-bottle principle. Recycling plays a key role in this, giving value to used packaging. This enables more efficient collection systems, sustainably closes loops and heavily promotes the ongoing development of recycling technologies.
ALPLA operates a number of its own recycling plants for PET and HDPE. It has the wholly owned ALPLA subsidiaries PET Recycling Team in Austria, Germany and Poland, plants in Mexico, Italy and Spain, and joint ventures in Mexico, Thailand and Romania. In total, the annual installed recycling capacity of these operations amounts to approximately 203,000 tonnes of rPET (recycled PET) and 74,000 tonnes of rHDPE (recycled HDPE).
To continue promoting the subject of recycling in the future, ALPLA is investing around 50 million euros a year in the expansion of its own recycling activities.
- Start of production for modern PET recycling plant in Târgu Mureș, Romania, as part of a joint venture. The installed annual capacity is 18,000 tonnes of rPET
- Outlook 2023: South America, Africa, Middle East and Turkey as attractive markets for potential recycling activities outside Europe
- Commissioning of a recycling plant (Envicco) for PET and HDPE in Rayong, Thailand, in collaboration with PTT Global Chemical
- Acquisition of the recycling company Texplast from the FROMM Group and all of its shares in the joint venture PET Recycling Team Wolfen. Annual processing volume in Germany increases to an input of 75,000 t of PET bottles
- Groundbreaking carried out for new PET recycling plant in south-east Mexico as part of a joint venture with Coca-Cola FEMSA
- Fixation of the investment of 250 million euros by 2025 for the global expansion of recycling activities
- Investment in the construction of a PET recycling plant in Târgu Mureș, Romania, as part of a joint venture with Ecohelp and UPT. The goal is to produce 15,000 t of food-grade rPET per year
- Commissioning of a new HDPE plastic recycling plant in Toluca, Mexico, with a current capacity of 15,000 t regranulate, and increasing this to 30,000 t from the second half of 2022
- Acquisition of BTB PET-Recycling, Germany. Processing volume is around 20,000 t of PET bottles per year
- Presentation of a climate-neutral recycling process for rPET
- Doubling of capacity in Radomsko, Poland, to 30,000 t rPET per year
- Launch of the recycling of PET from ‘Gelber Sack’ waste (‘yellow bag’ – German bin for household recyclables) into non-food-grade rPET at PET Recycling Team in Wolfen
- Start of production of rPE at PET Recycling Team in Wöllersdorf
Do you like our texts? Perhaps even so much that you want to use them in your own media? Then please get in touch with us beforehand!