ALPLA has been involved in the recycling of plastic and the processing of the recycled material into new packaging for more than 25 years. Global Recycling Day 2022 will once again be an occasion to look back on the key developments and initiatives in this field over the last few years.
The circular economy has been an integral part of ALPLA’s sustainability strategy for many years and the company always advocates for a closed packaging loop in accordance with the ‘bottle-to-bottle’ principle. Recycling plays a key role in this, giving value to used plastic packaging. This enables more efficient collection systems, sustainably closes loops and heavily promotes the ongoing development of recycling technologies.
ALPLA operates a number of its own recycling plants for PET and HDPE. It has the wholly owned ALPLA subsidiaries PET Recycling Team in Austria, Germany and Poland, plants in Mexico, Italy and Spain, and joint ventures in Mexico and Thailand. In total, the annual capacity of these operations amounts to approximately 203,000 tonnes of rPET (recycled PET) and 74,000 tonnes of rHDPE (recycled HDPE).
To continue promoting the subject of recycling in the future, ALPLA is investing around 50 million euros a year until 2025 in the expansion of its own recycling activities.
Some of the ALPLA milestones achieved in recent years:
- Outlook for spring 2022: Commissioning of a recycling plant (Envicco) for PET and HDPE in Rayong, Thailand, in collaboration with PTT Global Chemical
- Acquisition of the recycling company Texplast from the FROMM Group and all of its shares in the joint venture PET Recycling Team Wolfen. Annual processing volume in Germany increases to an input of 75,000 t of PET bottles
- Groundbreaking carried out for new PET recycling plant in southeast Mexico as part of a joint venture with Coca-Cola FEMSA
- Setting of investment of €250 million by 2025 for the global expansion of recycling activities.
- Investment in the construction of a PET recycling plant in Târgu Mureș, Romania, as part of a joint venture with Ecohelp and UPT. The goal is to produce 15,000 t of food-grade rPET per year
- Commissioning of a new HDPE plastic recycling plant in Toluca, Mexico, with a current capacity of 15,000 t regranulate, and increasing this to 30,000 t from the second half of 2022.
- Acquisition of BTB PET-Recycling, Germany. Processing volume is around 20,000 t of PET bottles per year
- Presentation of a climate-neutral recycling process for rPET.
- Doubling of capacity in Radomsko (Poland) to 30,000 t rPET per year
- Launch of the recycling of PET from ‘Gelber Sack’ waste (‘yellow bag’ – German bin for household recyclables) into non-food-grade rPET at PET Recycling Team in Wolfen
- Start of production of rPE at PET Recycling Team in Wöllersdorf
Do you like our texts? Perhaps even so much that you want to use them in your own media? Then please get in touch with us beforehand!